Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Almond Walnut Laddoo

almond and walnut laddoo

In addition to the sunnundalu (urad dal laddoo) for Dasara, I also made these almond and walnut loddos. The inspiration for this laddos came from Indira's walnut laddoo post but I changed the recipe. I basically took an easy way out than her recipe, since I did not wait for the milk and sugar to get to a pala kova consistency that Indira describes in her post. Here is my version!

Software
---------------
  • 21/2 cups each walnuts and whole almonds
  • 1 tin sweetened condensed milk
  • 21/2 cups whole milk
  • 2 pinches caradomom powder
  • 3 tbsp ghee
Hardware
---------------
  • one small microwave safe vessel
  • one large heavy bottomed container
  • one food processor
Method
---------------
  • Dry roast the walnuts and almonds seperately in a pan over low to medium heat until toasty.
  • After the nuts cool down, grind them seperately in a food processor until the nuts are broken down into very small pieces but not completely powdered. It takes a little longer to process the almonds.
  • Meanwhile, boil the whole milk in a microwave safe vessel until it is hot and bubbly. This step can be eliminated and the milk can be directly boiled in the heavy bottomed container but I always boil the milk first in the microwave and then transfer it to the stove. The advantage of doing this is that milk does not get scalded in the microwave and the "stirring the milk" time gets reduced dramatically.
  • Transfer the milk to the heavy bottomed container add the condensed milk and heat on medium heat until the mixture thickens up (for about 10-15 minutes).
  • Add in the chopped nuts and the caradamom, stir often so it doesn't get scalded until it is thick and the mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan.
  • Add 2 tablespoons of the ghee and stir.
  • Leave aside until warm enough to handle.
  • Then apply a little bit of the rest of the ghee to your hands, and make round balls with the mixture.
  • Store the laddoos in an air tight container.

10 comments:

Priya Bhaskaran said...

wow..the process looks simple and easy to make these laddoo's :)

wheresmymind said...

I don't know how I wouldn't want to eat the whole tray of these

Ra said...

they look delicious. I have used walnuts only in banana nut muffins, should try this

FH said...

You already are cooking for Diwali?! I am impressed! I have not even started yet!:(

Looks delicious,love walnuts!!YUM!!

Anonymous said...

They taste great, don't they?:) I like these sweet nutty laddus. Happy to hear that you tried and liked them too. Thanks for the mention Sam.

MI said...

awesome blog, adding your link in my blogroll :) I am going to explore all your wonderful collection.

Krithika said...

Looks delicious ! Thanks for simplifying this recipe

Mandira said...

this looks yummy... and easy to make too. I tired cookies with walnut filling and really enjoyed the taste :)

Anonymous said...

This process is very easy. However I boiled milk with cardamom to get more flavor. Also, boiling milk to get a thick consitency took way more than 15 mins even on gas.
I must say that they taste very nice.

Anonymous said...

wow....I just made these ladoos,hmmm...delicious, thanks for mouth watering recepie, which is very easy to prepare.I just loved it....every one has to try...