Sunday, February 04, 2007

Super Bowl Sunday - Tortilla Pinwheels

tortilla pinwheels ready for the Super Bowl (you can see some homemade salsa in the background)

First off, thank you to everyone that checked up on me :). It has been a long time since I blogged. Life was a little busy the last couple of months and I always felt like I had "other" things to do than blog. Well, now I hope to be back (hopefully, seriously). And what better day to resume blogging than the Super Bowl Sunday!

These pin wheels are what I took to a Super Bowl party tonight which had a "Southwest Theme". This recipe can be considered to be a "base" recipe to any tortilla pinwheels as the possiblities for the "fillings" are endless.

Each wrap will make about 10-12 pinwheels (so this recipe makes about 120-140 pinwheels). So this WILL feed a crowd!

Software
---------------
Hardware
---------------
  • Mixing bowl
Method
---------------
  • Soften the creamcheese in the microwave by putting it in the microwave for about 30 seconds per package.
  • Transfer the creamcheese to the mixing bowl, and beat/blend the cheese until smooth with a fork.
  • Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
  • Put about 1/3 cup of this filling in the center of a wrap and spread it around with a knife.
  • Roll the tortilla up tightly, then wrap in some plastic wrap.
  • Refrigerate for about 2-3 hours or overnight.
tortilla wraps ready for the fridge

  • Remove plastic wrap and cut into about 1/2 inch pieces.
  • Serve with some salsa or just by themselves.
* - I avoid using canned food whenever I can. So, I hardly buy canned beans. I do have a couple of cans stuck in the basement (you know for when we are stuck down there riding a tornado out :) ). I cook beans in bulk. I cook about a pound bag according to the package directions, then freeze them in 1-2 cup freezer bags. I then pull them out anytime I need them.

PS - Other variations for the filling include - finely chopped celery, finely chopped green pepper, finely chopped cucumber, thinly sliced turkey/chicken breast (layered on top of the creamcheese mixture before rolling out), replacing creamcheese with hummus for a healthier alternative etc. The possibilties as I mentioned are endless :).

6 comments:

FH said...

I made these for Xmas!! Aren't they yummy?Hope you enjoyed the game and these!:))

Nandini Gopinath said...

Good recipe !! Seems nice-n-easy!! Will try it out sometime and let you know how it turned out!

wheresmymind said...

GREAT idea for a crowd!

Anonymous said...

Hey
Gonna make this for my kids b'day party. Will let u know how it turned out to be. Here is another mexican fajithas which I did for a get together and turned out to be huge success.
http://www.indusladies.com/forums/14927-post29.html

Anonymous said...

I love pinwheels... especially your colorful ones!

Melting Wok said...

Oh, I love this rolls on a regular days, you made it so beautifully for the super bowl ? that's great, I had shrimp fritter vadas and lollipop chicken instead hehe, cheers ! :)